Another day in the windy season…

July 17, 2014 by

The wind was pretty strong last night but after the repairs we did on my lock at least the wind did not blow my door open in the middle of the night again. It has given me a heart attack a couple different times since I arrived. Only bad side to that is now that the lock is fixed I have to carry my keys… I know I know terrible problems I am having here.

So far I have done all sorts of jobs, today I fiber-glassed the holes in the bottom of a kayak, I helped remove and clean a carburetor, mixed paint, filled tanks, drove two different boats talked to tons of people and had lots of time to relax, I think I have read 4 books so far.

I have been here ten days now and feel like I am starting to get a grip on most of how things work here, I have not had many clients to take out as the wind stops most and the few I have done have all been orientation dives with Justin.

Today is going to be my first dive with customers by myself. It should be interesting, hopefully I don’t get lost!!!


Well I got lost not once but twice… it was not the best start for my confidence. We still managed to have a decent dive but the visibility wasn’t as good as it has been. There were still tons of fish though and today i seen a significant increase in the larger fish than I had seen before. But I still felt like I did not do a good job with those divers. Once we got back in the boat my day went from bad to worse… My second pull on the engine, the pull string broke and the handle and string were still in my hand and not in the engine. This means we were stranded out at the island!!! I had the three divers with me and two snorkelers on the island that needed a ride back as well as Justin and an intern were out diving doing a fish survey. So I grabbed the oar and started rowing back to shore, its 800m to shore and it took about 20 minutes or so. My arms and back were so tired when i got back, it was a lot more work than I expected to do for the day. Justin swam back and we were able to reattach the pull string and go pick up the snorkelers. All in all it wasn’t a bad day but it was not how i envisioned my first solo day to go. Hopefully it all goes better from here out.

More later…


  1. Comment by Ken
    July 18, 2014 @ 7:11 am

    Sound like quite the adventure! Thanks for sharing. Wishing you well!

  2. Comment by mom
    July 18, 2014 @ 12:34 pm

    sounds like it will be fun after you get used to everything so what do they feed you any bacon yet or just mice lol been checking your website daily thanks for posting waiting for you to call take care and be careful miss and love you mom

  3. Comment by Adara
    July 18, 2014 @ 2:44 pm

    Love the updates! Don’t worry, you’ll be leading those dives with your eyes closed in no time! Hope the wind dies down. Slightly reminiscent of Mahaual? Can’t wait for photos!

  4. Comment by Angelique Goetsch
    July 19, 2014 @ 12:28 pm

    Wow! Glad it turned out well.

  5. Comment by Josh Velo
    July 27, 2014 @ 10:28 am

    I hope you’re doing well, my friend. Please attach photos when you can.

    Take Care, and Have FUN!


  6. Comment by cathy Brenna
    August 5, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

    What an adventure. You are amazing always thinking ahead. Your in my prayers daily and my heart always. Love you

Leave a comment

» Followed by:

« Previously: